Home Insurance

What does my policy cover?

Coverage A - Dwelling

Protects against the loss or damage of your home in the event a covered peril such as fire, wind, hail, hurricane or lightning occur. This coverage is determined by running a replacement cost evaluation. Flood is not covered on a typical homeowners policy and must be purchased separately. 

Coverage B - Other Structures

This coverage typically covers structures not attached to your home. For example, a detached garage, fence or storage shed.

Coverage C - Personal Property (Contents)

Imagine you took the roof off of your home and turned it upside down, everything that fell out would most likely be personal property. These are things like, furniture, clothing, TV's, computers, etc. It is important to note that this coverage should be written as replacement cost (what you could purchase it for brand new) versus actual cash value (cost brand new minus depreciation).

Coverage D - Loss of Use

This provides compensation for living expenses if you can not live in the home due to a covered loss. Typically, this helps to cover hotel and food costs while your home is repaired. 

Coverage E - Personal Liability 

Personal Liability provides coverage in the event someone in your household causes injury or property damage to someone else. It can help provide monies for legal defense fees or for damages caused.

Coverage F - Medical Payments

This coverage helps to provide protection for guests at your home if they should get injured in or around your home accidentally. 


All Other Perils - this is typically $1000. It can been increased to $2500 for a lower annual premium but will cost more out of pocket when you have a claim.

Hurricane - this is typically 2% of the dwelling coverage. For example, if your dwelling coverage is $100,000, the deductible would be $2000. Some carriers allow for this deductible to be reduced to $500 or $1000 for additional premium.

Endorsements and Exclusions

Many standard homeowners policies do not include coverage for things like screen enclosure or water back up. These can be added to your policy to meet your insurance needs. 

Discounts & Savings

Wind Mitigation Reports - it is important that before you purchase a home or when you have a new roof put on, you have a wind mitigation report completed. This can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars on your insurance premium. If you need a local referral for an inspector, we can help you out.

Protective Devices - many carriers provide discounts for having a monitored fire or burglar alarm

Secured Community - many carriers give discounts for homes located in gated communities

55 or older and retired - many carriers give discounts for mature homeowners